Kerberos for Windows Release Engineering
Release Engineering notes for the Kerberos for Windows 4.0.0 release
Software to test against new builds:
- SecureCRT (and SecureFX?)
- SPNEGO (in multiple browsers?)
- Adobe Keyserver a.k.a the Sassafras key client
- SMTP in some form?
- LDAP in some form?
- XMPP in some form (pidgin?)?
Upgrades scenarios to test:
- 32-bit to 32-bit, from 3.2
- 64-bit to 64-bit, from 3.2
- 32-bit to 64-bit, from 3.2
- 32-bit and 64-bit to 64-bit, from 3.2
- 32-bit to 64-bit, from 4.0
- 64-bit to 32-bit, from 4.0
When starting from 3.2, it probably suffices to test the Secure Endpoints versions once only, and assume that there will not be future changes to 4.0 which cause the upgrade process to fail for the SE version but not the MIT-distributed version.
Current known issues:
- The uninstaller prompts to kill running processes but does not do succeed in doing so
- The upgrade procedure attempts to kill running processes but does not succeed in doing so (these two may be sharing most of the code). The wix-users archives suggest that Util:CloseApplication may be useful to do this in pure WiX instead of a custom element
- The version number implanted in various dlls may no longer reflect the underlying krb5 version (instead using the KfW version)
- windows/README is outdated